Title: Software Testing Engineer
The Cognitive Medical Systems Team is seeking a Software Testing Engineer to support the VA T4NG Consolidated Corporate Support Services (CCSS) program serving our Department of Veterans Affairs Corporate Portfolio clients across the entire U.S. CCSS is in contract start-up in its initial awarded Base Period of six months, with three additional one-year option periods that can be exercised, and is valued at $96M.
- Develops and executes test plans, test cases, and test procedures to ensure that all information systems products and services meet organization standards and end-user requirements.
- Develops test schedule and testing approach.
- Writes test cases and scripts and identifies data for test scenarios.
- Conducts a walkthrough on test case/script with Test Managers, Requirement Leads, Project Managers, and Development Leads.
- Performs and leads tests of software and/or IT systems to ensure proper operation and freedom from defects.
- Performs verification activities on work products using defined methods, procedures, and criteria with an appropriate verification environment.
- Documents and communicates test results. Supports analysis of test results and resolution of open issues.
- Documents and works to resolve all complex problems. Reports progress on problem resolution to management.
- Devises improvements to current procedures and develops models of possible future configurations.
- Creates daily test metrics and reporting.
- Occasionally performs other IT systems engineering activities such as requirements, design, installation, operation, sustainment, and support
- Frequent use and application of technical standards, principles, theories, concepts and techniques.
- Receives assignments in the form of objectives and establishes goals to meet outlined objectives. Work is reviewed by supervisor/lead to measure meeting objectives.
- Follows established client testing guidelines, procedures, and policies.
- Provides solutions to a variety of technical problems of moderate scope and complexity where analysis of situations or data requires a review of a variety of factors.
- Works under general direction of the Test Team Lead on routine work. May receive detailed instructions on new projects or assignments. Work is reviewed for soundness of technical judgment, overall adequacy and accuracy.
- Exercises sound judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action.
- Contributes to completion of milestones associated with specific projects.
Required Skills by VA Product Line/Role:
- For VA’s Human Capital Management Product Line:
- Testing on database platforms such as Microsoft SQL or Oracle
- Testing applications written in/on languages/platforms such as .Net, Java, C#, HTML
- Creating test cases and test scripts
- Experience interpreting functional and technical requirements
- Experience with defect identification and resolution
- Experience with common testing tools and software such as MicroFocus, Eggplant, and/or SmartBear
- Experience preparing for and conducting user acceptance testing (UAT)
- Project coordination, stakeholder engagement, and release management skills/experience a plus
Required Education, Experience, and Clearance:
- Bachelors and two (2) years or more experience, – OR –
- Masters degree
- Ability to obtain a VA Position of Public Trust – Medium Background Investigation (MBI)
- Strong analytical, verbal, and written communication skills
- A self-starter with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills
- Solid work ethic and technical knowledge, with the ability to self-manage workload and deliverables under tight deadlines